While I was working out in the gym, I had a conversation with a friend who had recently experienced the deaths of his best friend & sister within a week’s time. Even with his obvious heartbreak, he was getting through his workout with commitment. Seeing his inner strength toward suffering reminded me how important it is to keep the faith during the storms of life.
Live long enough & you will have the battle scars to prove that your character has been tested. There are some fights in life, some setbacks & struggles that leave you wondering, “Will I ever come back from this?”
-a failed marriage has taken the fight out of you
-a lost job and you had to move back in with your parents
-the death of a child or spouse has you broken & numb
-people you thought would be there for you have let you down.
On the outside you can appear to be the strong guy, but on the inside you’re Minnie Mouse. This is the most challenging fight of all, the fight inside, in our minds. It’s the self-defeating thoughts we think that strips us of our power.
It’s never about what “they” say about you that makes you feel defeated. It’s what you say about you that brings your defeat.
Put the past behind you. Your past doesn’t have to dictate your future. Today you have the opportunity to get it right. “When you hold on to your history, you do so at the expense of your destiny.” TD Jakes
- Don’t Quit
Make the decision that no matter what you will not quit.
- Take quitting off the table. Quitting is not an option. When you feel overwhelmed with worry or fear, tell yourself, “I got this.”
- You didn’t survive everything you have been through to drown in shallow water. Don’t give up because the moment you’re ready to quit is usually the moment right before a miracle happens.
2. Keep Moving
When I was healing from a loss in my life there were days when I had to tell myself over and over, “one step at a time.” The thought of going through a whole day was enough to make me want to go to bed and pull the covers over my head.
Keep consistent to your routines.
- Like my friend, it was his routine to come to the gym & he stayed true to that in spite of how he felt. There is a comfort in routine that keeps us anchored.
- Move your body even if you don’t FEEL like it. Feelings come and go that is why you must make the decision to not quit, and trust that the good feelings are going to come. The sun will shine on you again.
3. Rise Above
Fight & pray for the struggle to transform you into a better version of yourself.
- Rise above the pain to become someone stronger, nobler, wiser, braver, more beautiful than the old you.
- Rise above the self-doubt and same old stories that leave you feeling like a victim. Tell yourself a new story where you are experiencing success, love & happiness.
- Perception is everything. See yourself as a conqueror and speak your destiny into existence.
Romans 4:17 Call those things that be not as though they were.