The one exercise you MUST always include in your leg/glute workout is the hip thrust & here is why:
- If you want to rock those jeans and fill them out nicely. 🔊FYI guys, women like a nice butt too, and experts say they have some demure subconscious thoughts associated with nice buns! 😋
- Increase your speed, power and enhance athletic performance.
- Perform better on your squats and deadlifts.
According to Bret Contreras, a Ph.D. candidate in sport science and the world’s foremost authority on glute training. “It’s going to give you more power when sprinting, cutting, twisting and rowing.”
💬It can be an embarrassing exercise to do, so I generally position a bench to where I have a wall in front of me;)
What you need to get started:
- Large crossfit style plates which allow you to roll the bar right over the thighs to get into position.
- If you don’t have these available at your gym you have a couple of options. 1.) You can use smaller plates and sit on the bench with the barbell then wiggle into position. 2.) You can have a partner lift the bar and gently place it over the hips for you.
- A cushion or towel to wrap around the bar.
- A Bench
Here’s how you perform the hip thrust:
- Roll the barbell over your hips
- Position your upper back on the bench.
- Set up with a medium foot stance.
- With the barbell positioned in the hip crease, press through your heels, pause and squeeze your glutes at the top.
- Make sure you achieve full hip extension. If you are unable to lock out the hips, then your weight is too heavy.
*I like to keep the weight low to ensure I achieve full range of motion with every rep. I perform 4×10-12 reps.
Have a great day and workout!