I’m so excited to share with you how to make your very own Homemade Quest Protein Bars! Quest bars are my favorite because they are made with quality ingredients that I can understand, and they make a great healthy dessert.
The catch is, spending $2-3 per bar everyday can get expensive, and they aren’t sold at a lot of places. Discovering how to create my own solves these problems, and I can control the ingredients to make them even healthier! Another BONUS is they can be made in 3 minutes!
The magical ingredient that allows the protein bars to be ‘Quest like’ is a low carb and chewy (binder) syrup, IMO (aka. isomalto-oligosaccharide) called Vita-Fiber.
The company that makes Vita-fiber shares this nutrition information about the product:
Zero Sugar – No Aftertaste – Low Calorie – Super Versatile
Baking to Beverages – Gluten Free – Non-GMO – Vegan
Nothing Artificial – No Stevia – No Sugar Alcohols – Low Glycemic
Supports Digestive Health – Excellent Source of Prebiotic Fiber
Does Not Cause Tooth Decay – Diabetic Friendly – No Allergens
This is pretty awesome, right?! I like not having to use nut butters, honey or any other fat or sugary substance to hold the bars together.
Here is a link to FAQs about this product: http://bioneutra.ca/frequently-asked-questions/
I bought mine at amazon: http://www.amazon.com/VitaFiber-IMO-Syrup/dp/B00TIX50OQ
These were some of the firsts ones I made: Double Chocolate Brownie, Peanut Butter, Cookie Dough, Cinnamon Roll, Oreo and Chocolate Peanut Butter
Ingredients needed: VitaFiber, favorite protein, extract of choice, and any mix ins you like.
😊Once you get started it’s so much fun creating new flavors the time flies!
Here is the base recipe:
- 2 TBS VitaFiber
- 1 scoop Protein Powder
- 1/4 tsp extract
- 1 tsp milk (I use almond) *gradually add a splash more if you find it’s too dry
⋆You can adjust the recipe based on what you want in your macros. For instance if you don’t want as much protein or if you don’t want to use 2 tbsp of the syrup then you might want to go with 1/2 scoop protein powder; 1- 1/2 tbsp VitaFiber; and 1 tbsp milk. Play around with it and enjoy creating your own!
Here are the steps:
- Use a small pot and have all your ingredients ready to mix in. Heat the syrup in a saucepan on medium-low heat until it starts to bubble. It takes about a minute.
*Another option is to microwave the syrup in a glass bowl for 20-25 sec.
2. Once it starts bubbling, remove it from the heat and immediately stir in your ingredients, except for your special add ins like chocolate chips, dried fruit, sprinkles, etc.
3. Let cool for about 2 minutes.
4. Scoop the dough into a Ziploc snack bag. Fold in your add ins and form into a bar. (trust me on this, otherwise it will stick to your hands).
5. Cool in refrigerator for an hour to set.
I love ‘almost done’ cookies so I bake them at 350 degrees for 5 min. or pop them in the microwave for 10-15 seconds.😋
Here are the recipes I used for the bars in the photo:
I’ve been having so much fun creating these bars, and I’m still tweeking and trying new things! I would love to hear back from you about what you try. Enjoy!