Want to get in a quality cardio session without spending 45 minutes to and hour on a treadmill? You can optimize your time and get better results with this 20-minute high-intensity interval workout. This fat burning cardio session will tone your entire body and leave you feeling energized! You can do this in your office, home or in the gym.
What you need:
- a couple of hand towels
- a mat
- a stopwatch or tabata timer
- your willingness to give your best effort. You can do this workout in your office, home, outside or in the gym.
- Get a stopwatch or download an interval/tabata timer on your phone. There are many free apps available that are good.
- You will exercise for 20 seconds then rest for 10 seconds, and repeat 8 times.
- Perform circuit 1 rest 1 minute, move into circuit 2 and then repeat the whole sequence again. At the end of the workout, you will have done each circuit 2 times.
This will make better sense once you get into the workout. Be warned, it starts off feeling easy but the short rest breaks will challenge you!
Start with a 5-10 minute warm-up to make sure your muscles are loose and you are mentally focused.
Let’s get started! (photos of the exercises below the workout)
1) Low Jacks: 20 seconds/rest 10 seconds
2) Plank Jacks: 20 seconds/rest 10 seconds
3) Squat Jumps: 20 seconds/rest 10 seconds
4) Push-up to knee tucks: 20 seconds/rest 10 seconds
-repeat circuit 1 again until you’ve completed 8 cycles which will take you exactly 4 minutes.
After the 4 minute circuit, rest 1 minute then move on to the next circuit.
Circuit 2 (follow the 20 on/10 off sequence)
2) Army Crawls
3) Side to side jump squats
4) Squat thrusts
-repeat circuit 2 again until you’ve completed 8 cycles which will take you exactly 4 minutes.
After the 4 minute circuit, rest 1 minute then repeat the entire workout again.
low jacks– stay low the entire time.
Plank jacks– in a push-up position, jump your legs out wide and together.
Squat Jumps– no photo for this one, just squat and jump as high as you can.
Push-up to knee tuck– put a wash cloth under each foot. Using your abs, pull your knees into your chest and the push them back.
Burpees– no photos for this one either. You will squat, jump your feet back to push up position, jump your feet back in and immediately do a squat jump.
Army crawls– on your forearms and toes, keep your hips steady as possible as your crawl forward to the end of your mat and then crawl backward.
Side to side jump squats– roll your mat up or pick a spot to tap down with your hands. Squat to one side, bring your feet together in the center and jump out to the other side. You want this to be fast and fluid.
Squat thrusts– squat down, jump your feet back, back in and stand.