The other day my routine was changed and I can’t believe how it caused me to experience a series of missteps. I won’t go into the details, but let’s just say my morning was a hot mess. I stopped to get a coffee to help me regroup. I made sure to lock all the doors because my husband had a talk with me the night before about that. Wouldn’t you know it, I locked my keys in the car!
While I waited on my hubby to come to my rescue with a spare key, I decided to try a skinny peppermint mocha. It just sounded so good to me and it did not disappoint! I’m now hooked and ever since last week I’ve been experimenting to find an even healthier recipe to make at home.
As I sat with my skinny peppermint mocha and egg white sandwich, I decided that I was going to turn the day around! Maybe the peppermint had a little something to do with it. Peppermint has a calming effect on the body. Actually there are few body, health, and mind issues that it cannot help.
Factoid: Peppermint is mentioned in Greek mythology where water nymph Mentha was transformed into an herb by Pluto who had fallen in love with her and wanted people to appreciate her for years to come.
All of this makes me feel even better about stumbling across my new Christmas indulgence:) This recipe includes a skinny peppermint syrup that provides for several servings to have on hand for whenever your craving hits. Your wallet and waistline will thank you!
Ingredients for Skinny Chocolate Peppermint Syrup:
1 cup water
4 peppermint tea bags
1 cup sweetener (I used stevia)
1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
*Once it cools off pour in a jar or bottle and store in refrigerator
- In a saucepan, heat a cup of water until it starts to a boil, then add the tea bags, cover and let steep for 5 minutes.
- Discard the tea bags and add the sweetener, cocoa powder and peppermint extract. Bring to a boil, and stir until everything dissolves. Boil for a few minutes then remove from heat.
Ingredients for one Skinny Peppermint Mocha
2/3 cup dark roast coffee
2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
3 tbsp skinny chocolate syrup
To prepare your mocha latte:
1. Brew coffee, I used the smallest cup setting on my Keurig (be sure to use a large coffee mug)
2. Heat milk until hot and pour in a blender: Blend for 30 seconds to 1 minute until mixture becomes frothy and foamy
3. Add chocolate peppermint syrup to coffee
4. Gently pour in the frothy milk
Tip: If you want to make a protein peppermint mocha add in 1-2 tbsp of your favorite protein powder.💪