photo credit to Mystic Mermaid @ https://www.facebook.com/MysticMermaidCove/
The dark and dreary Winter months can cause many of us to lose some of our zest. Summer’s approach has a way of reviving and warming us from the inside out. Instead of wanting to hibernate in a cozy blanket, we are looking for flip-flops & a reason to get outside!
These are tips that will get you in shape AND healthy from the inside out! When you feel happy and confident it reflects to the outside world, and this is what can set you apart on the beach.😃
Start your day with JOY and a glass of water
You’ve gone the entire night without water so even if you don’t feel thirsty, you need to drink some water.
- Drinking water as soon as you get up brings a healthy glow to the skin, and it’s a good way to purify your internal system.
Your morning often sets the tone for the rest of your day. Creating habits that bring you joy is important. This will look different for everyone.
- If you are super rushed in the morning it might be moving mindfully through your routine instead of going through the motions.
- sitting with a cup of coffee in silence
- snuggling with the kiddos or hubby
- reading a Bible scripture.
Starting your morning with joy helps you begin the day with love flowing from the inside out.
Eat whole foods with plenty of vegetables
Eating whole and nutrient dense foods is going to nourish and energize your body.
- When you are shopping stick to the perimeter of the grocery store. This is where fresh foods like fruits, vegetables, dairy, meat, and fish are usually located. The center aisles is generally where junk foods lurk.
- Eating vegetables helps the skin and body look and feel better.
A typical breakfast for me is usually a veggie omelette. If I get bored with this I change-up the vegetables and herbs I use. Read this blog for tips on sneaking in vegetables: https://healthyjustice.wordpress.com/2016/03/03/5-ways-to-sneak-greens-into-your-meals/
Get some fresh air
Winter season or not, we spend a lot of time indoors. Getting out in nature improves our health and overall wellbeing. Whenever I’m upset about something it always helps me feel better when I go to the lake or to a park.
- If you live in an urban area, getting fresh air where there are lots of trees is especially beneficial. Trees remove pollution from the air, making it healthier for us to take into our lungs.
- It might sound strange, but I’ve personally found walking barefoot is healing. It reminds me of my essence and connection to my Creator.
This is one of my favorite places to go for a trek close to home:)
Do physical activities that you enjoy
- Do yourself a favor and DON’T commit to an exercise class or program if you know you won’t enjoy it. This will save you from the frustration and tirade of negative self talk that will likely come when you stop.
- Give yourself permission to experiment and find out what will be fun for you.
Get plenty of sleep
- Sleep gives you a youthful and healthy glow. These days people boast about the lack of sleep, but this shows up on their faces with lackluster skin, dark circles and wrinkles just to name a few! There really is something to the phrase ‘get your beauty sleep.’
- Sleep will help you lose weight. When you sleep your body regulates the hunger suppressing hormone leptin as well as cortisol levels which helps your metabolism.
Drink more water
75% chronically Americans dehydrated! A guide is to drink half your body weight in ounces. If you are active drink an ounce of water for each pound you weigh.
Here are some ideas to make water more fun:
- juice some lemons and put them in ice trays. Take a few out and put them in your water after they have frozen.
- infuse your water with fruit. Try lemons with mint and blueberries or any fruits you have on hand will work.
- I found this drink mix that I use occasionally that is sweetened with stevia and has no artificial ingredients.
What I’m discovering is that there IS an invincible summer inside, and for me this comes from self love.
- What helps me is to ask myself, ‘what do I want?’ This question has been helping me be more authentic and even assertive with my needs.
- Take time to do things you enjoy and be your own best friend. i.e. taking a bath, going to a coffee shop and reading, taking yourself out for breakfast or just chilling at home.
Invincible Summer says that when people turn against you and don’t like you, you are still too powerful to be defeated or overcome by their hate. Keep shining like the Summer sun!